Today I’ll let you in on my favourite sweet health kick recipes: the Witch’s Brew Smoothie for health and beauty!
My new favourite smoothie ingredient is Spirulina: a dark green powder which smells and tastes “pond like” on its own, but in my opinion adds deliciousness and depth when mixed into recipes, and particularly smoothies.
If you’d like to learn more about this fabulous ingredient, I recommend Wellness Mama’s Spirulina profile.
In the meantime, here are a couple of key highlights which make spirulina a health and beauty superfood:
- High in antioxidants: proven to both promote better health and slow down the aging process, yay skin!
- High in omega 3: proven to benefit heart health, normalising as well as regulating cholesterol triglyceride levels
- High in Chlorophyll which helps eliminate toxins – I’ll take any help for detoxing!
Other than the spirulina, the rest of the recipe is full of antioxidants from the mango, which pack a punch against cancer; lime for detox and for your skin; and tryptophan from the banana which you body converts into serotonin, the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter. In other words, a natural high – as promised this smoothie delivers!
And here are the results of this recipe:
- Half a mango
- Half a lime
- 1 apple
- 1 medium banana
- 1 teaspoon of spirulina (or two if you want added benefits)
- Prep all your ingredients and chuck them in your blender, then cover with water! Blend well.
- Simple 🙂
- I make all my smoothies with my trusty Nutribullet.
Yum. I’m at my 3rd glass (I made a big recipe today).
Now, it is true that an all fruit smoothie will pack a bit in calories so don’t overdo it either 🙂 Or maybe try adding a light green – I’d advise spring greens for this one to keep it light. If you add this then balance with an additional dose of lime.
I think I’m getting better at taking food related photos…